Errors related to wpcap.dll can arise for a few different different reasons. For instance, a faulty application, wpcap.dll has been deleted or misplaced, corrupted by malicious software present on your PC or a damaged Windows registry.
The most commonly occurring error messages are:
- The program can't start because wpcap.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- There was a problem starting wpcap.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- Error loading wpcap.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- The code execution cannot proceed because wpcap.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
- wpcap.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vender for support.
In the vast majority of cases, the solution is to properly reinstall wpcap.dll on your PC, to the Windows system folder. Alternatively, some programs, notably PC games, require that the DLL file is placed in the game/application installation folder.
For detailed installation instructions, see our FAQ.
Additional details about wpcap.dll
Wpcap.dll is a DLL used by packet sniffing and low-level network utilities running on Windows(r). If a program requires this DLL file, and you do not recall using a program that needs low-level network access, then a program may be trying to capture your network data or hack systems on your home network.
2014-09-01 DLL-Files.com Support Says:
While the file itself is not necessarily dangerous, this file is currently being used by several hacker groups augmenting their in-house developed Trojans to create massive botnets, both for DDoS purposes and to capture sensitive information like your passwords, web traffic and private information from your local network. Unless otherwise noted we do not recommend installing this file until the situation is changed.