Errors related to steam_api.dll can arise for a few different different reasons. For instance, a faulty application, steam_api.dll has been deleted or misplaced, corrupted by malicious software present on your PC or a damaged Windows registry.
The most commonly occurring error messages are:
- The program can't start because steam_api.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- There was a problem starting steam_api.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- Error loading steam_api.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- The code execution cannot proceed because steam_api.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
- steam_api.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vender for support.
In the vast majority of cases, the solution is to properly reinstall steam_api.dll on your PC, to the Windows system folder. Alternatively, some programs, notably PC games, require that the DLL file is placed in the game/application installation folder.
For detailed installation instructions, see our FAQ.
Additional details about steam_api.dll
steam_api.dll is used by games to access some of Steamworks features and solutions, such as stats and achievements, user authentication, finding game servers, and connect with other Steam users.
Steamworks API also offer Valve Anti-Cheat functionality and DRM protection.
steam_api.dll is commonly found in the install folder of the game using it.
example: \steam\steamapps\common\"Game name"\steam_api.dll , or C:\Program Files (x86)\"Game name"\steam_api.dll
Some games using this file:
- Call of Duty Black Ops II
- APB Reloaded
- Unreal Tournament 3
- Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) 2015
- Euro Truck Simulator