Errors related to soft_oal.dll can arise for a few different different reasons. For instance, a faulty application, soft_oal.dll has been deleted or misplaced, corrupted by malicious software present on your PC or a damaged Windows registry.
The most commonly occurring error messages are:
- The program can't start because soft_oal.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- There was a problem starting soft_oal.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- Error loading soft_oal.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- The code execution cannot proceed because soft_oal.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
- soft_oal.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vender for support.
In the vast majority of cases, the solution is to properly reinstall soft_oal.dll on your PC, to the Windows system folder. Alternatively, some programs, notably PC games, require that the DLL file is placed in the game/application installation folder.
For detailed installation instructions, see our FAQ.
Additional details about soft_oal.dll
OpenAL Soft is an LGPL-licensed, cross-platform, software implementation of the OpenAL 3D audio API. It's forked from the open-sourced Windows version available originally from openal.org's SVN repository (now defunct). OpenAL provides capabilities for playing audio in a virtual 3D environment. Distance attenuation, doppler shift, and directional sound emitters are among the features handled by the API. More advanced effects, including air absorption, occlusion, and environmental reverb, are available through the EFX extension. It also facilitates streaming audio, multi-channel buffers, and audio capture.
Soft_oal.dll is commonly found in the same folder as the program using it.