Errors related to ntdll.dll can arise for a few different different reasons. For instance, a faulty application, ntdll.dll has been deleted or misplaced, corrupted by malicious software present on your PC or a damaged Windows registry.
The most commonly occurring error messages are:
- The program can't start because ntdll.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- There was a problem starting ntdll.dll. The specified module could not be found
- Error loading ntdll.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- ntdll.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.
In the vast majority of cases, the solution is to properly reinstall ntdll.dll on your PC, to the Windows system folder. Alternatively, some programs, notably PC games, require that the DLL file is placed in the game/application installation folder.
For detailed installation instructions, see our FAQ.
Additional details about ntdll.dll
ntdll.dll - "NT Layer DLL"
ntdll.dll contains NT kernel functions, and is directly loaded by high level native Windows programs.
Most programs running in windows uses functions from this file, even if not loading the file directly.
This file is required by Windows, and deleting the file would make Windows inoperable.
The ntdll.dll file is one of the most important file in the "Microsoft Windows NT" OS family. Ntdll.dll is mostly concerned with system tasks and it includes a number of kernel-mode functions which enables the "Windows Application Programming Interface (API)". The ntdll.dll is also responsible for messages, timing, threading and synchronization in the operating system.
The most common occurring error messages caused by problems with ntdll.dll:
• "STOP: 0xC0000221 unknown hard error C:\Winnt\System32\Ntdll.dll"
• "STOP: C0000221 unknown hard error \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll"
• "AppName: [PROGRAM NAME] ModName: ntdll.dll"
• "[PROGRAM NAME] caused a fault in module NTDLL.DLL at [ANY ADDRESS]"
• "Crash caused in ntdll.dll!"
• "NTDLL.DLL Error!"
• "Unhandled exception at [ANY ADDRESS] (NTDLL.DLL)"