Errors related to msvcrt.dll can arise for a few different different reasons. For instance, a faulty application, msvcrt.dll has been deleted or misplaced, corrupted by malicious software present on your PC or a damaged Windows registry.
The most commonly occurring error messages are:
- The program can't start because msvcrt.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- There was a problem starting msvcrt.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- Error loading msvcrt.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- The code execution cannot proceed because msvcrt.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
- msvcrt.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vender for support.
In the vast majority of cases, the solution is to properly reinstall msvcrt.dll on your PC, to the Windows system folder. Alternatively, some programs, notably PC games, require that the DLL file is placed in the game/application installation folder.
For detailed installation instructions, see our FAQ.
Additional details about msvcrt.dll
The msvcrt.dll file is a part of the "Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0" and is crucial for most applications to work properly. It also contains program code that enables applications written in "Microsoft Visual C++" to run properly. The program code is basically string comparison tools and mathematic operations such as trigonometric operations. This is a very valuable file to programmers.
Some games or applications may need the file in the game/application installation folder. Copying it from Windows systemfolder to the install-folder of the game/application should fix that problem.
Make sure to use the 32bit dll-file for 32bit software, and 64bit dll-file for 64bit software.